Bordan Tkachuk is CEO of Sir Alan Sugar’s Viglen IT company. He is also a trusted business advisor for Lord Alan Sugar, is also known from his appearances on the BBC-produced British version of The Apprentice, interviewing for Lord Sugar. He is known for his sharp attention to detail as many candidates interviewed by him on the TV show have discovered. Just ask Lee McQueen.
- Be courageous and take advantage of emerging consumer markets
- Carry out a self-appraisal of yourself. Ask yourself. Do you enjoy what you do? Do you get fulfillment from it? Are you financially rewarded for your efforts? Addressing questions like these will help set the direction of what you truly want from your career
- At the interview, always make a good impression and sell yourself well to the company. To really make this work look at the company website, find out who the competitors are, what the products are, the market size, or ring the company and ask them to send you information.
- Make sure your CV is readable. Be honest about your skills and don’t try to bluff your way through
- The key to being successful in your career is to be persistent
- A degree will give you a good foundation but sticking with something and continuously developing your skills is central in shaping your competencies
- Working your way up through an organisation will give you a lot of confidence
- Having passion and believing in yourself is the fuel that will drive your forward.
- Always view mistakes as learning opportunities not failure
Integrity is a highly valued quality by employers. If you can demonstrate that in your interview and on the job you will be on the right track. Don’t try to be something you are not. You won’t come across in the right way to others. The importance of being genuine and being yourself is essential.